Monday, February 5, 2007

Sick, Sick, Sick


It was bound to happen, I got sick. It is only a cold but it has floored me. I say it was bound to happen because looking back on previous years of training it is always the same. Right after deciding that my training is behind schedule, I push myself perhaps a little further than I should and leave the door open to catch something. I knew this was a risk so I made sure my diet was spot on. I had between 100- 120 grams of protein, 12-16 servings of fruits and vegetables, I ate no wheat or dairy. I was feeling great. I still think my plan was solid but I can recall some things that could have led me here.
I had to interview a bakery owner for a magazine article. The bakery is at the top of a long steep hill with lots of traffic. I hit a point during the climb that was beyond my comfort zone but I was determined to get to the top. I had some burning lungs as I locked up my bike out front. Once inside I shook a lot of hands during the introduction. Where I went wrong was I then ate a scone without washing my hands. I could have used a fork but I never eat scones with a fork. Caveman.
I may be wrong with my assumptions about where this cold came from, but I have so little to do right now that it has given me something to think about. I have watched a lot of movies, drank a lot of Herba-Tussin tea and slept more than the average house cat. I am determined to be back on my feet by tomorrow when my work week begins. The good news that I have gleaned from my previous years training journals is that I have only ever gotten sick once during these early months. It makes getting through this frustrating weekend a little more tolerable.

No comments: