Tuesday, February 20, 2007

John Frickin' Stamsted


A couple of weeks ago I was sent an e-flyer for a bike gathering at Farragut State Park on the Cinco De May Weekend.It sounded like a good event but I did not think I would be going. Then I thought that I might bike the 80 miles from here to there after work on Saturday, hang out a bit on Sunday and ride back. Then I heard some details that clinched the deal. The event includes demo rides, skills clinics, poker run and an outdoor theater playing bike movies, but what the flyer fails to mention is that the Men's Skill Clinic is run by John Stamsted. THE John Stamsted. The guy who invented the solo class in 24 hour racing, the veteran of numerous bike races on the Iditarod course in winter, the man who established the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route Time Trial Record. You would think that when you have a Mountain Bike Hall of Fame member coming to an event you might mention it. Now that I know this piece of information I can hardly think of passing up the chance to meet the man.
Over the years I have met a lot of famous people, Ronald reagan to Sylvester Stallone to Kurt Vonnagut, but the idea of meeting John Stamsted seems much more interesting.
I am marking the calender now.

No comments: