Tuesday, May 8, 2007

7 miles+50 MIles


When I was a wee lad I was caught up in the whole running craze of the 80's. One of the highlights of each year was running Bloomsday, the local 7 miler that attracts 40, 000 to 50,000 people. The last time I ran it I was 13 and this year as my daughter who is almost 13 decided she wanted to do it. We ran and walked it together and despite not being a big fan of crowds it was good fun. Having some good bands blasting music every 1/2 mile was a nice addition since the ol' days.
The day after Bloomsday I headed back to the CDA NF and was able to get 50 miles of riding in without too much snow turning me back. Burnt Cabin Summit is still socked in but the long stretches of snow that Ben and I ran two weeks ago were completely gone. I am getting a clearer idea of what a 100 miler route would look like and think that these trails lend themselves towards a 150 mile route. I won't really know until the summits are rideable. I was able to climb without fatigue. I felt much stronger than I did just two weeks ago. Perhaps it was the 90 mile fixed gear time trial.
I feel like the training has been really safe and I am ready for something that pushes me a little. Perhaps a fast paced 100 miler on the mtn bike or a dbl century on the road. The weather is surely cooperating with 78 degree temperatures,

No comments: