Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Bike Build Begins


I had my first conversation with Doug Curtiss From Curtlo Cycles and it went very well. I have done enough research to know that the single most important element in having a frame custom made is good communication with the builder. I was worried that I did not know enough about the math behind my riding to convey what he needed to know. I am not the kind of person who pays attention to top tube length, head tube angle or chainstay length. If anything I have prided myself on my ability to get on just about any bike and ride without over thinking it. The only "rules" I have followed when it comes to fit is put a longer stem on the bike and push the seat back as far as it will go. I have less legs and more torso than is optimum on a bike and these modifications have been the steps I have used to compensate.
While talking with Doug he spent a good amount of time walking me through the process which was both fascinating and comforting. The comfort came from an impression that he was not in a hurry and that he had all the time in the world to build my bike. It is a real skill to do this when I know that he has multiple projects at various stages of completion going at the same time and more coming down the pike. I have a personality that when work piles up, the faster I go. I talk faster, I walk faster, I eat faster. It is controlled panic. I could not do what Doug does because I could not convey that sense of singular purpose.

No comments: